Saturday, September 29, 2012

Tangled Thumbnails, Studying Camera Shots and Angles

1. Established Shot
I was so darn excited going into this assignment, until I paused & started drawing the first thumbnail.  Let's all agree on one point: Tangled has tremendously beautiful art and I was ready to butcher it all up with my rendition.  Since everything was so high quality and there were so many values used (I had w1,w3,w5,w7,w9,black, white = 7 values) so I seriously had to dumb/thumb down the image (no pun intended :p).  
For established shot, I chose the scene where they introduce Rapunzel's tower.  At first I rendered the tower with a bunch of values but it did not pop out at all so I filled it in with black.   
2. Extreme Close Up/Close Up
So I think there was only one Extreme Close Up shot in Tangled and it was of Rapunzel's eyes after she realized she was the princess.  Unfortunately, I found the shot after I drew this close up one.  Oh well, this angle is so much more dramatic than the one of Rapunzel's eyes.   
3. Over the Shoulder (turned into Two Shot, don't worry, I have another over the shoulder thumbnail)
Okay, I butchered the perspective here.  This shot wasn't really a clear over the shoulder to begin with though but I was dying to do something related to the lantern scene.  Unfortunately, I ran into a bind because I couldn't decide what values to use.  If I used black for the sky then I would only be able to draw the lanterns with my white gel pen or my prisma color and that wasn't going to look right.  Gosh, I am dying to draw the lantern scene digitally!!  Anyway, I was focused on the lanterns so much that I messed up on the shot.     

4. Dutch Tilt
This shot wasn't easy to find in the movie, however it had to be the easiest one to draw because of the low details.  This was during the flood after Maximus kicked that log down.  
5. High Angle
Baby Rapunzel is a cutie.  High Angles are typically used to show submission and there's a scene where High Angle/Low Angles are used really well but I had already drawn these.  I guess the hardest about this angle is that I had to erased what I knew beforehand.  
6. Low Angle
This is the shot following the previous one.  Something's funky about the rendering on the wall I think.  It was fun rendering the Queen.  

7. Medium Close Up
That black thing is a part of the boat.  I might have shrunk Rapunzel a bit because in this shot, the subject takes more of the frame.  This was when I realized I really enjoy rendering characters xD.  Maybe I just miss Character Design.  
8. Wide Shot
Oh gosh, this one wasn't the best.  Something looks wrong with the perspective.  I think the rug is really off.  
9. Over the Shoulder (extra because I butchered the other one)
There's a lack of OTS shots in Tangled because during conversations two shot is used a lot.  When Eugene and Rapunzel talk, they don't really look eye to eye because they are shy haha.  Anyway, here I ran into the same problem I did with the lantern scene.  The background is made up of dark values in the actually shot.  However, if I added the black background I feel like both characters would just blend into the background o_o.  

Okay, I just can't wait to do these digitally so I can lay down my colors with confidence, especially the black! xD 
I really liked this week's assignment!


1 comment: